Monday, February 26, 2007

Quick peek at the last 2 weeks!!

It’s been 2 weeks since I’ve left my home of over 10 years – the Gold Coast. The first week mummy was around to take my mind off missing my baby sister Lissy and my besties :( mummy and I were pretty much running around everywhere – getting me settled into my new room. I’ve just added the finishing touches in my room – favourite photos of my friends and family. During that week I briefly bumped into Felicia at Wisma, carrying bags full of pillows and the new bedsheets I absolutely am loving – white with pink/red roses! They are satin cotton and feel utterly divine. And I still like my room in shades of pink best! I am still using the light pink pillowcase I made in grade 8! Haha!! Chinese New Year came and went, no visiting this year – we spent a lot of time visiting grandma in the hospital. Mummy and I dragged ourselves to Chinatown after reunion dinner on the eve of CNY and had a hard time pushing through the crowds. We intended to walk home but got lost at Outram Park MRT – we couldn’t agree which was the right way to go! So we cabbed it from there! I promised myself I wouldn’t cry when mummy left but at the airport, I just broke down. I cried myself to sleep that night, missing Lissy and mummy and daddy. The day after mummy left Liss called and when she said “do you miss me?” I just started crying all over again. I still feel really lonely and empty but I think my tear ducts don’t work anymore!

The second week (this week passed) was spent with friends from home. I met up with Neha a fair bit. I don’t think anyone knows that we used to sit beside and share our music sheets in orchestra in grade 8! Yup we both played the violin, Neha said she quit in grade 10 but I kept going till the end of high school. Mummy still complains about my violin “collecting dust” but I just can’t bear to sell it! Neha and I went to Little India on Tuesday with Cameron, it was hot and I never fail to complain about the weather every time I talk to daddy! On Wednesday I had lunch with Esther and Chris, they both left for AussieLand on Friday. I always have fun with them, gossiping and catching up, and teasing Chris about his love life (and on rare occasions, the lack of!). Then Esther and I went on to shop around and then to dinner with Pao and Neha. That night Neha and I went to St James Powerhouse and had the best night ever! Hot guys were aplenty and the music was fantastic! We danced till I could stand no more – damn those heels! I met Neha again on Friday, this time at Zouk with her fellow interns Boxun and Adriel. We held out till 4.30am when I decided to use my last drink coupon on wine. That was a mistake - I’d been drinking spirits all night and mixing the wine, I was drunk after half a glass and feeling rather sick so we went home. After about 4 hours sleep, we got up and got ready for a day at the Singapore Art Museum, which we both loved, and having a Singapore Sling at the Raffles Hotel, then trudging down to the Bugis Street markets. We bumped into my ex-boss’ parents (the café I worked in my first year of uni) at the markets, they’re in Asia for a month. We went down to Arab Street, hoping for a meal but were sadly disappointed at the lack of activity. I think we were both glad to call it a night at 10pm, exhausted. I met Neha again yesterday for shopping spree at VivoCity with another intern, Jen.

I’m trying to get down to the driving centre to convert my Australian license in the next 2 days. Although I’m wondering if I can be bothered considering I have no car here, which totally sucks! I miss my sporty 4-WD!!! The evils of public transport – where do I begin!?! I mean, I used to rather miss out on uni if I couldn’t drive than take the train and bus!! I have to think about what I want to take with me, instead of taking everything and leaving what I don’t need in the car. I have to wait around for transport – and taxis are the worst! I’m in deep shit when it rains coz I haven’t learnt to take an umbrella everywhere! I don’t feel cool sitting in a bus or train like I do when I’m sitting in the driver’s seat!

Most of all, I miss home – our swanky apartment with a killer view of the hinterland, broadwater, Versace hotel, Sea World, the ocean and beyond, snuggling to sleep next to Liss (not the most comfortable thing – damn bony frame!), air-conditioning (!!!), cooking for the family, having a dryer, admiring the night skyline out of my room’s full-length wall-to-wall window, chatting to Liss till we fall asleep, fighting Liss for closet space!

But I must say, the food here is great! I’m eating all the things I’ve been missing – the Gold Coast is not the best place to find good Singapore dishes like char kway teow, chicken rice, and my favourite snack, kueh tu tu! I’m eating way too much and I’m sure the weighing scales will agree!

No comments: