Friday, November 23, 2007

Spiritual Warfare

Ok, this is a bit short and in a rush but I wanted to get this out before the afternoon!

Small group on Tuesday felt a bit strange as we were missing our brother Melvin, who is serving our Father in Cambodia. But he did call! So though his absence was dearly missed, we were all thinking of him and he, us! Siping filled us in a bit more about Mel’s ministry there and it led to a discussion of spiritual warfare. I believe that spiritual warfare is very real, in our daily lives, though we may not give much thought to it (though we should!!!) but it is especially when we’re taking a very conscious step to serve him in the field that it becomes very real. I’ve heard testimonies from friends and acquaintances who have and still are battling against the forces of Satan when they decided to switch to full-time ministry.

Spiritual warfare is not something that we should take lightly. It’s present in our everyday life. When you want to do something that you know is not right (and you’ve got like a little devil on one side telling you it’s ok and a little angel on the other side that’s telling you DON’T DO IT!!) or even in the strongholds of your thought patterns or opinions (like how little white lies are ok or “adult content movies”). And also, even in playing games or buying snacks from Bengawan Solo! Even when I’m feeling so tired and worn down from work that I decide to skip devotionals. Or when I’m getting ready to pray at night before I go to bed but just KO as soon as my head touches my pillow. Or the little struggles I face in my heart and mind about every thing one can possibly think up of. You know, when negative thoughts come into your mind…that kind…sometimes I wonder why I’m so weak to guard against these thoughts.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12

These two verses means a lot to me. Not only to serve as a reminder and awareness but also the lesson/reason behind it…maybe I’ll share it with you one day ;)

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive in the obedience of Christ, and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete. 2 Corinthians 10:3-6

And so…..i’ll close by saying “Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit”, says the Lord. Zech 4:6

Melvin: Be encouraged because the Lord is with you :) and we’re all here, praying for you. Jia you!

No comments: